Join the Team: Controller
Knoxville, TN, Full Time
PTAC Crew is a nationwide service provider that is revolutionizing the way hoteliers manage their PTACs, and we need help further disrupting the industry. Save yourself some time and do not read any further if you like to work in domesticated environments that are slow-moving and change infrequently. If you like to work hard, be empowered to move the needle, be part of a productive team, solve problems, and generally get stuff done – please keep reading.
We know what you’re thinking: “Seriously? PTACs? What is a PTAC? Is it as cool as blockchain or artificial intelligence?” We get it; we thought the same thing. And, as it turns out, the answer is: yes, it’s pretty cool (after all, PTAC’s are essentially air conditioners). What we’ve found is that working in a challenging environment with passionate, sharp, engaged colleagues, solving real-world problems, and becoming a master of your craft is very cool indeed (even without all the air-conditioners)!
Our business is a unique combination of B2B services and e-commerce – and a fusion of an established company (~15 years) in an established industry and a disruptive startup. So, you are going to need to be a curious, multi-disciplinary thinker – not someone who wants a sedentary, safe, corporate culture. Rather, this position is for a self-motivated, ambitious individual who can lead the charge with an ownership mentality. We’re not looking for someone to “manage” a fiefdom or silo – we’re looking for a doer who can create something from nothing.
This position is for a Controller in Knoxville, TN. Internally, you’ll work side-by-side with the President, the CFO and other key leaders in the company. Externally, you will interact with bankers, suppliers/vendors, contractors, and customers.
You’ll be helping develop accounting processes and internal controls. You’ll be responsible for closing the books quickly each month, aiding in business analysis by providing timely and relevant financial and operational information to key leaders and stakeholders. It will be a unique combination of thinker, doer, and manager (with a heavy emphasis on the doing).
Here’s what we’re looking for in a successful applicant:
- Ownership Mentality – we’re looking for someone who is a self-starter, entrepreneurial, and can take personal responsibility for the success or failure of our books– we won’t be holding your hand
- Continuous Improvement – you’ll need to enjoy being challenged and pushed (we are demanding and have high standards) and humble and curious enough to constantly improve yourself and the company – we’re certain you don’t already have all the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed, so you’ll have to learn
- Hard Worker – we believe the harder you work, the luckier you get – and we can’t achieve our ambitious goals without some grit and elbow-grease
- Passionate – if you’re not ambitious and engaged, we’ll drive each other crazy
- Honesty – it’s a prerequisite to have personal character, but we also expect proactive honesty vs. silent apathy
- Business lover – if you don’t like business generally, don’t apply
- Technologist – our entire business is being re-built on and facilitated by technology, so you will need to love it (at work and in your spare time) – you’re going to be using Quickbooks Online (heavily), Magento, Excel, email, Slack, Google Sheets, Wrike, Gitlab, and other tools
- The successful applicant will have a strong accounting background (CPA preferred, though not required).
- We currently use Quickbooks Online (QBOE) as the accounting platform. This may change in the future, but for now, the successful candidate will be an expert in QBOE.
- Part of our business is e-commerce. We use a backend shopping cart called Magento. Experience working in Magento is preferred – though certainly not required. Expect to be a quick study on this platform should you get hired.
- We need a leader, as the successful applicant will be working with other bookkeepers and team members (like the CFO and president) to help create a well-oiled accounting and reporting machine – and in some instances – from scratch. Some examples:
- Create/improve chart of accounts for multiple entities
- Create tight payment and collection processes (A/P and A/R management)
- Work with computer coders to help automate posting of transactions (communicate business processes to coders through our internal ‘ticketing’ system)
- Help the CFO with cash management (budgeting CapEx, treasury, etc.)
- We need to reiterate that this is not a hand-holding job. As far as accounting goes, this is the “wild, wild west” if there ever was one. The successful candidate will need to be comfortable working in this kind of environment – where there is a lot of “path paving”.
- The successful applicant will be extremely detailed oriented. After all, he/she will be literally responsible for counting our pennies.
- Life is short. The successful candidate will need to be great to work with who will be accretive to the organization culture generally. There are some long days. Lots of phone calls, texts, emails, Slack channel chats. We want to want to work with you – and vice versa.
Our preference is to hire someone to work in our physical office (most days) in Knoxville, TN alongside our core team.
We are looking to pay between $60k-$100K, though the ultimate offer will depend on skills, experience, and knowledge of the applicant chosen. If you are a bonafide GSD’er and are passionate, we can work out the compensation!
If you’re interested and think you’re qualified, we look forward to hearing from you!
Please send a cover letter explaining why your experience will make you a good Controller of this organization to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include your résumé and (if you have one) your LinkedIn profile when applying. Finally, include a list of at least three people (and preferably a link to their LinkedIn profiles) you respect and who will be willing to vouch for your integrity and competence.